Monday, May 17, 2010

Breakfast Pastries - Day 9

Today was our final prep day for our practical tomorrow. We'll start off with a written exam and then we'll have to make croissants and danish. Since we laminated our two doughs last Thursday all we had to do today was get some fillings for the danish prepared so they'll be ready on hand tomorrow. It was a nice slow day. We did make some baking powder biscuits and swiss carrot cake. I didn't like these biscuits as well as the buttermilk biscuits we made earlier. The carrot cake was different from any carrot cake I've ever had, but was pretty good.
We had a lot of free time after lunch so Chef tempered some chocolate and let us practice piping with chocolate. That was pretty fun. Sadly it was the first time I've ever piped anything with chocolate and haven't really done much piping at all really. Chef walked over as I was doing some filigree and said I had some piping skills. He said I had nice control. That made me feel pretty good.  Definitely going to be practicing that some more before we get to plated desserts and any other module that will use that skill. I didn't have my camera on me today because I knew it was going to be a slow day. Guess I'll share my mad piping skills later :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment